The Firearms Forum banner

WWII German Masuer 98

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  zant 
#1 ·
I have an old German Mauser 98. Need info on it. Its been hanging in a cotton barn for over 60 years so its not in the best of shape. Bore is pitted and rusted but action works fine.
Serial numbers on Bolt, Safety, Action, Barrel, butt plate, swivel bracket, and Stock all read 4362. Has all nazi marking on barrel and stock. Condition can be deduced by reader by looking at picks. I'm no expert. What are your thoughts on condition and possible appraised value? I'm not selling. This is a keepsake from my grandfather. Just need to know what i need to insure it for.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum Joseph. That thing is a good looking rifle and is in remarkably good shape to have been hanging in a barn for 60 years! I am not an expert in any thing so I will let more knowledgeable folks give you their guestimations on value.

#3 · (Edited)
Very nice looking rifle. I'm impressed by the matching numbers and what looks to be the original finish. Depending on the interior of the barrel, I'd expect to pay $575 or up at a gun show. Mis-matched Soviet capture 98s often sell for $300 - $350 at shows in my area.

As far as the bore - it is very possible that the rifle was shot with corrosive ammo and not properly cleaned, and may well be 'rusted and pitted'. On the other hand, I've seen barrels actually clean up nicely that at first glance seemed ruined. A good gunsmith - who has no interest in the rifle - could give you an honest appraisal if the barrel is lost or not. Sometimes a barrel that is a little dirty or rough can be cleaned or polished out. Fire-lapping or the use of bore paste might do it. Just depends on how much damage there is.

I later noticed that the hand guard is missing. Not a biggie - but you can replace it. The Germans numbered just about every part, so if you can, I'd try to find a new/unmarked replacement. Maybe Numrich/GunParts Corp in West Hurley New York? Shouldn't run more than a few dollars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.