XD Vs XDM

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by RunningOnMT, Mar 31, 2009.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I own a Springfield Armory XD 40 (12+1 cap.). I think it is a good pistol though I haven't been impressed with my own accuracy with it. I'm sure others could shoot much better with it.

The new XDM pistols besides having a greater mag capacity, have what they term a match grade barrel. What exactly makes a barrel "match grade"? If anyone owns both the XD and XDM I'd like to hear what your experience is re comparative accuracy of the two.

2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I have an XD-40 and XDm-40. Very similar in most ways. I am a little more accurate with the XDm, may be weight and longer barrel plus a slightly better trigger in my opinion. The extra grip safety is a winner I think.

XDm, I like the changeable backstrap, slide shape, mag capacity and you do not have to pull the triiger to remove the slide from the frame.

XD, I like the size, not alot of difference but it is there.

I like the XDm more but carry the XD more often for some reason.
    I would have a really hard time to decide if I had to get rid of one of them.
    Very fine pistols and they fit/feel better to me than the Glocks I have owned.
    I think because they fit/feel better to me I shoot them better than Glocks.

3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Thanks. That pretty much tells me what I need to know. I think if I buy an XDM I'll go for the 9mm since I already own the .40. Maybe I'll be more accurate with that.

4. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Call me crazy if ya want, but my opinion.

I've shot Glocks and XD...Glocks a lot. Compared them too.

Not here to put the Glock under praise, just any easy comparison.

I feel like the line of bore on the Glock is a bit lower. Being that getting your hand as high as possible on the grip in relation to the bore is key to accuracy...it seems to me that may be one reason some have a funny natural point of aim with a XD.... It may also depend what you're already used to shooting too.

The grip on the XD is pretty verticle too. I think they did that to counter complaints about Glocks having a kinda high point of aim.

Anyway...just some thoughts. I'd bet some grip techniques could tighten your groups.

Attached Files:

5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Well Delta it may just be my arm is so unsteady anymore...can't hold a good sight picture. With this XD I could guarantee to hit a man size target at 50 ft. and that's about it. I hear people talking about 3 and 4 inch groups at 25 yds and it makes me want to just hang it up...but I wont.

6. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Ah okay I understand, RunningOnMT. I see where you're coming from.

If I may offer a piece of advice; Something told to me that I've never forgotten. Concerning other people shooting 3" groups at 25 yards, it doesn't matter. I say that because, in the end, the only competition that matters is the one between you and your last best effort.

"Masakatsu Agatsu" It's a concept hard to explain so quickly in English. But it means in its most simple definition that the only victory that matters is the victory over yourself.

No matter what we do, we start back over every day. If you're still eyeballing your groups with a critical eye, or watching the time on a buzzer box, or whatever other measure, it ain't time to hang it up yet.

7. M&P Man

M&P Man New Member

Very well put Delta, I own a Ruger 9mm (P95) and a Smith and Wesson M&P 40 cal and I am one of them people that shooting came naturally to but I was and still am only concerned with the last shot I fire at the range, is it good enough to stop a criminal or am I better off throwing my gun at them lol.. One ???? for Running; is the guns in question broke in?? a little tip I once got that I will pass to you is, break the gun in, adjust sights if you need to, fire at least 250 rounds at this adjustment then go from there, some times you may end up shooting right where you need to be..

8. lockednloaded45

lockednloaded45 New Member

I dont have a .40, I got a XD .45, but love it. Glocks are tried and true, proven performers. I've not shot the XDM's yet, but will soon )