Yes!! Trump wants to redo food stamp program

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by dbcooper, Feb 13, 2018 at 9:55 PM.

1. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

and watching them get cash back from the part of their benefits meant to help with utility bills and buy smokes with it, right freaking there!:mad:

2. Conman

Conman Well-Known Member

The entire GIMME GIMME system needs to be overhauled!! GO TRUMP

3. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

This is the SNAP program folks, not welfare. Two different programs. The article states that the average person gets about $90 a month, but the true numbers are about double that. $175 a month is what most SNAP participants get.

When I was a kid we were on welfare. We didn't get electronic cards that got loaded each month with money. We didn't get paper money that looked like Monopoly money. We got government surplus foods. Powdered milk, canned meats, beans, rice, flour, and CHEESE!! If it wasn't in the box, or boxes that you got, you did with out. And this is the system we need to fix. Not just SNAP.

pullerguy, Ksman75, dbcooper and 2 others like this.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The food stamp program is abused. No doubt about it.

In the early 70s, as a bagboy, I watched a woman try to buy dogfood with them. She was told NO, so she took the dog food back, came back with 5 pounds of hamburger.

In the early 80s, when candy bars were a quarter and cigarettes a buck, I saw a little girl get out of the car, come in and buy a candy bar with a dollar stamp. Got a handfull of change. Little boy gets out of the car, comes in buys potatp chips with a dollar stamp. Gets handful of change. Then grown man gets out, comes in buys cigarettes WITH a handful of change.

But do any of y'all have actual experience with them?

1988, I trashed my knee, was home for three months on Workman's Comp. Workman's Comp pays 2/3. 2/3 don't pay the bills. We were on food stamps.

Family of six, we got 147 dollars a month. That don't go real far buying beans and rice and bologna. It DAMN SURE wouldn't go far buying porterhouse steaks and lobster.

And I never could figger out how to buy a Cadillac with food stamps.

Nor Cal Mikie, jedwil and carver like this.
  5. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Easy. Just sell the stamps every month and buy a caddy....

joe45c, Ksman75, carver and 1 other person like this.
  6. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

I have a plan on how to get you that Caddy. Drive into town and park a couple of blocks away from your target area. Walk to your prefered intersection and be sure to wear old cloths and a sign that says "Will work for food". Most people will ignore you and your sign, those that don't will give you money instead of offering you work. Do this often enough and you'll get enough for your choice of vehicles. That happened close to here, the "beggar" was seen driving away in a fairly new BMW.

Ksman75, carver and Conman like this.
  7. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member

I don't mind the soda and junk food so much. But, when I see baskets loaded down with steak, lobster and other food most of us can only afford on rare occasions, I do get ticked off a bit. I watched a woman last year buy a basket full of steaks, shrimp, crab legs and soda. I commented on it looked like a good party! She said she was having a dinner for her church group. But, to my shock when the register rang up over $300, she whipped out her EBT card!

A friend of mine told me that what people do is buy expensive meat & other foods with their EBT card and then sell it to other people for CASH! There was one lady around here was even caught buying food for her restaurant using her EBT card. She would buy prok chops, steak, chicken, shrimp, produce and cases of soft drinks using her EBT card; then she would take the food to her restaurant and sell off her menu for CASH! (She didn't take credit cards at her restaurant.)

-

Ksman75 and carver like this.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Back when they were actually "stamps" they were being sold but now they get thatt "prepaid" credit card with a certain amount on it. I guess it is still possible to sell them but it supposedly made it a little harder.

My grandson is disable and cannot work, he gets his $78 a month food stamp card. You can't buy a whole lot for 78 bucks. He will usually go to the grocery store with me and will pay for stuff that he likes and that I usually don't buy, such as Hot Pockets or Potato Chips. We eat a lot of sandwiches so he buys the bread and sandwich makings! If food stamps are done away with, it would be no great loss.

howlnmad, Ksman75 and carver like this.
  9. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member Supporting Member

{{Under the proposal, which was announced Monday, low-income Americans who receive at least $90 a month — just over 80 percent of all SNAP recipients — would get about half of their benefits in the form of a "USDA Foods package." The package was described in the budget as consisting of "shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit and vegetables."}}

They are using the minimum $90 per month as a baseline.
    The article said that 80% of all SNAP recipients get a minimum of $90 a month.

So that means that 80% of all SNAP recipients would get their monthly amount put onto a card cut in half and start receiving the other half in food boxes.

Most people I know are getting about $400 or more per month

I can hear the squawking and screaming starting now.

10. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

They need to send the illegals back where they came from, take the welfare and food stamps away from the people that really don't need them, put them to work picking the fruit and vegetables the illegals are picking then give them some of the fruit and vegetables to eat. Several problems solved in one process.

11. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Government Cheese. :)
    As part of price support programs for farmers enacted in the 30s, the United States government began to stockpile dairy products. By the 80s, the stockpiles were so large that merely storing them became prohibitively expensive. The government even paid dairy farmers not to produce any dairy for five years, buying the farmers' cattle herds. The cheese would have eventually spoiled without any outlets, and there was no more space to store it. In 1981, the Reagan administration decided to start distributing this cheese to America's poor under the Temporary Emergency Food Assistance Program.

carver, dbcooper and Ksman75 like this.
  12. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I loved that Government Cheese, back in the 80's my mother ran an "emergency home" for children removed from their family. As such, she received a weekly or monthly (don't really know which) ration of food. When ever she would get the cheese, she always gave me a chunk of it. I don't think there I have ever had any better (until I discovered cougar gold).

jbmid1, carver and Ksman75 like this.
  13. msheff

msheff Well-Known Member

Sure wish I had some of that commodity cheese and a gallon can of commodity peanut butter. There's never been any better.

jbmid1, carver, Ksman75 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I loved it too! Matter of fact, more free cheese went to people with jobs than those it was intended to feed! :)

carver and Ksman75 like this.
  15. bbirder

bbirder Well-Known Member

The commodity program is alive and well! the only problem is that the EBT card holders wont get in line for them. I see the line every month in the park by my house. Mostly seniors trying to get by on the SS checks. They are given a box of commodities such as cheese and peanut butter to get by on. It's a shame that seniors that have worked and contributed to the tax system all their lives have to depend on this while the ones that dont contribute rape the system. This is the fault of the politicians that want to keep them at the trough to get the vote!

jbmid1, carver and Ksman75 like this.