Yildex TK vs Hatfield SLG (Single Barrel Smoothbore) Shotguns

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Godzilla187, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Godzilla187

Godzilla187 New Member

Hi,

I'm interested in the Pro's and Con's of the Yildex TK 12 Gauge (from Academy Sports) and the Hatfield SLG (original a Walmart $99 special when they used to sell it) 12 Gauge shotguns (I plan on purchasing one of the two shotguns; also, I plan on cutting the barrel down to math tge length of the stock when folded in half and cutting a hole in the wooden grip under the barrel so it closes when folded in half).

With the mods described, how accurate will it be (shooting shells [slugs and 00 buckshot] and 690/710 round balls as a muzzleloader) within 50 to 100 yards?

Primary uses are plinking and as a small backpacking option.

Also, I've not heard much of the Yildex brand name. How are they when compared to a well known company such as Mossburg?

I own a Mossberg Maverick 88 (Security Model) shotgun. But, it doesn't shoot modified shotshells so well (like wax slugs, slingshot ammo, muzzleloader 690 and 710 Round Balls with muzzleloader barrel adapter, arrows with exploding tips, grapeshot loads, different bullet calibers, and several other kinds of modified rounds that I have ideas for).

Sincerely,

Godzilla187

tedwitt likes this.
  2. ms6852

ms6852 GUNZILLA Supporting Member

I bought a Yildiz over/under 12 gauge about 14 years ago. The wood is Turkish walnut. It is a very well made shotgun sold at a great econimical prize. You get your money's worth. If there is a con I would have to say that the lever to open the shotgun is stiffer than the browning citori but it still does the job with doves or clays. No regrets and the engraving is an added touch.

tedwitt and Godzilla187 like this.

3. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

When I was working at the LGS , we sold over a hundred Yildiz shotguns. And never had a single return. That alone says something about the quality.

tedwitt, ms6852 and Godzilla187 like this.
  4. Enfield 577

Enfield 577 Active Member

I am just working on suppressing a little Yildiz 410, seems like a great little gun for the money and surprisingly well made.

tedwitt, ms6852 and Godzilla187 like this.
  5. Godzilla187

Godzilla187 New Member

That's good to hear. No returns is a really good sign. I wish there were more reviews on the Yildez 12 Gauge Single Barrel Shotguns.

I've never really enjoyed shooting a 410 Shotgun (except when testing explosive arrowheads).

Has anyone own a Yildez 12 Gauge Single Barrel Shotgun (the one that requires you to manually reload one new shell after every shot)? I have several questions to ask in regards to this shooter.

See link below (shooter introduced at 00:38 seconds):

6. GWinOK

GWinOK Member

I just bought one if these yesterday. I took it to the range in the afternoon. I really enjoyed shooting it. It is my second shotgun. My other one is an import RIA from Turkey. That one is also pretty nice, considering it was just $100. However, it had a composite stock and a 22-inch barrel with a muzzle break. I wanted that one for home defense. I live in a townhome and I was concerned about penetrating walls if I ever had to use it. The short barrel works in a tight space.

When I bought my first shotgun, I wasn’t sure if I’d enjoy it. After several trips to the range, I wanted one with a wood stock and a longer barrel. A friend offered to take me dove hunting and I thought the longer barrel would work better for that. The Yildiz 12-gauge is really very nice. It looks and feels like a more expensive gun. The fit is good and it feels solid, considering how light it is. The checkering and stenciling on it are nice touches. It kicks like a mule with 2 3/4 inch shells. At the range, I also shot some of the Aguila Minishells. They kick a lot less and they might work well for dove with the 7 1/2 shot minis. I have come to really like single-shot shotguns, much like I really like single-action pistols. This one does a good job and I really like the look of it. If I ever buy an expensive shotgun, the Yildiz will still see action because I won’t worry if I dropped it in a puddle or the mud or something. It’s a good deal. I may ask for the .410 for Christmas.

ms6852 and DCman like this.
  7. GWinOK

GWinOK Member

7B23F23B-DB09-456E-823E-0CF0DC6EF39E.jpeg
    Follow-up in an old, dead thread. This spring, during the quarantine, I bought the RIA Imports 410 shotgun. I debated between the Yildiz 410 and the RIA. The price difference between them was minimal, maybe $20. The Yildiz had real wooden furniture, but it just felt light and insubstantial, unlike the Yildiz 12-gauge. The RIA has a composite stock and foregrip, but the gun feels much more substantial. One of the nice things about it is that it comes with sling mounts factory installed. The fit and finish seems decent for the price. I patterned it an an indoor range at about 20 years with some 7.5 bird shot. It shoots very well, hardly any recoil, and the spread of the bird shot (Remington) was very uniform across a 16-18 inch circle. I bought the gun at Atwood’s for $99. I love it when a hundred bucks buys a fun gun.

DCman and ms6852 like this.
  8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I may think about this in 410 just for fun but never in 12 gauge. Those things are shoulder breakers. When we go trap shooting we shoot at least 100 rounds. If I shot 100 rounds with the 12 gauge I would need to stop by the hospital on the was home to get my shoulder fixed. :)

GWinOK, ms6852 and grcsat like this.
  9. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that the SXS were the biggest seller. Back then I was surprised at how light these shotguns were and I would guess that a 100 rounds would give you a sore shoulder. But as a field shotgun were you woudn't shoot more than a box of shells I think its great.

ms6852 likes this.
  10. GWinOK

GWinOK Member

You gotta watch this review of the RIA shotgun. This guy is hilarious. At one point, he shows the feature that allows you to shorten the pull length for a smaller person or a “child you don’t like.” Lol. I can’t imagine a child shooting the 12-gauge. It would knock a kid over. Thankfully the 410 doesn’t kick much. The 12-gauge does spike the adrenalin.

Limbo Jimbo and gvw3 like this.
  11. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This pretty much mirrors my experiance with these type of shotguns.

Limbo Jimbo likes this.
  12. DCman

DCman Well-Known Member

I was just at the Yildiz website and noticed a couple of nice things in the description of the gun.
    They are available with a 30" barrel and the choke is fixed, modified.
    I have a great ol' H&R 088 in 20 ga., but it only has a 25" barrel and that actually makes it harder for me to hit the target, because there's no weight out front to help balance the gun.
    Granted, 5 extra inches of a thin shotgun barrel probably isn't putting much weight out there, but I can feel the difference with a 28" barrel, so 30 ought to do just fine.
    Anyway, just wanted to comment on that and glad to hear such positive comments on the Yildiz shotgun.
    Will have to get one.....and a Limbsaver recoil pad. WORTH IT, trust me!

DCman

ms6852 likes this.