You can only have one....

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by SeeMor Guns, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Have to get @sharps4590 to post a few pics of his drillings.

grcsat and Alaska444 like this.
  2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Same as always, my Thieme & Schlegelmilch drilling in 16 x 16 over 9.3 X 75R Nimrod with the 22LR einstecklauf in the right shotgun barrel. Same pictures. Or, one of my other drillings. One is a 9 X 57R and the other in a cartridge I make from 30-40 Krag, with the 22LR einstecklauf in the right shotgun barrel. P1010005 (4).JPG

My Thieme & Schlegelmilch is the top one and the middle one is my Jaeger in 9 X 57R. I traded the bottom one and it was in 7 X 57R. I have a picture of my other but can't find it right now. Are drillings the ideal SHTF firearm? No but, it beats a sharp stick. With a drilling equipped with an einstecklauf you have a cartridge for any game you might encounter. Are they for everyone? No but, I would like anyone to show me a firearm better equipped to take any kind of game at a seconds notice. I like and prefer them and I'm the only person I have to satisfy.....and I don't care for ugly firearms.

The 9.3 X 75R cartridge is the rifle cartridge on the right and the 9 X 57R is the one in the middle. The white 16 bore shells are Brenneke slugs and the purple shell is a Federal 2 3/4 hull cut back to 2 1/2 and roll crimped. The Brenneke slugs are devastating on man or beast

P1010007 (6).JPG

3. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

Grizzly you say, YES, we need more threads on grizzly bears.

4. DCman

DCman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  5. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link. I've known of Bella and her bear for many years but never knew this depth of the story. I thought she shot through the ear canal as it drew even with her as she hid off the side of the trail.
    Minor details do not change the important aspects of the indecent. Caliber is nothing without accuracy. In the end that bear was killed by her nerves of steel and clear head despite being "a bit" under gunner for the task at had.:eek:

DCman likes this.
  6. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

Bumblebee is getting close

I would want a drilling; .30-06, 12ga, .22mag.

SeeMor Guns likes this.
  7. ral357

ral357 Well-Known Member

Would that be a 12ga double barrel with the 06 on top and the 22mag underneath? Bet she would weight a bit.

8. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

No ral, that would be a vierling, 4 barrels. vier = 4 in German, drei = 3 in German. And no, Vierlings are usually had at less than 7 lbs. in 16 bore configuration. Obviously 12's would be heavier as they require a larger frame and the barrel set will be heavier. Chambering them in a high intensity cartridge such as the '06 also adds weight. The last two sentences largely explain why most drillings, of all configurations, are on a 16 bore frame. I've handled a couple 12 bore drillings in high intensity cartridges and compared to their 16 bore counterparts, they are clubs. Not heavy, just unwieldy compared to the 16 bore frame size. I found that picture of my other drilling. This one handles like a fine German or British double gun, is simply a delight to carry and use and, the rifle cartridge is good for a 200 gr. bullet at 2000 fps and superbly accurte. Plenty for anything I'll need to kill.

P1010002 (3).JPG

I suspect Wild Turkey means a drilling with an einstecklauf but, I don't know that. As mentioned, 4 barrels would be a vierling. In a vierling the larger, centerfire cartridge is always on the bottom, where the frame is deepest and the force on the hinge pin most perpendicular. The small rifle cartridge would be on top or in the rail.

Limbo Jimbo and Firpo like this.
  9. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

DCman likes this.
  10. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Have to wonder if she knew she was under gunned! I would not have tried that!!!

DCman likes this.
  11. jonb32248

jonb32248 Well-Known Member

Hand grenade

SLICE, DCman and ysacres like this.
  12. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

Back when I was kid my dad had an over under in 20 ga. / 222 Rem. If for whatever reason I could only have one firearm I'd go for something like it.

sharps4590 likes this.
  13. Empty_Holster

Empty_Holster Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I will stay with the one I posted last time.

M1 .30 Carbine.

Light enough to carry and ammo will take care of just about anything I might run into.

14. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

You have a tax stamp to go with that grenade?

Empty_Holster, ysacres and jonb32248 like this.
  15. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

What I described probably doesnt exist. Would be a 12 ga (16ga would be acceptable) beside a .30-06 (or anything from a .243 up to 8x61) and a .22 rimfire below.

Hey, if we are limited to one gun, I can make up the one I want.