You didn't throw out those aluminum pots, did you?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/29/01 12:20:56 pm)
    | Edit | Del All You didn't throw out those aluminum pots, did you?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A while back we had a post on food, and the comment was made about how aluminum causes Alzheimers, and how aluminum cookware was bad for you.

How many of you saw the "little" blurb in the USA Today last week, saying it has now been disproven that aluminum causes Alzheimers, and that there was little if any chance of ingestion enough aluminum from cookware, OR non-stick coatings even if scratched and deteriorating, and that it was now "safe" to begin using it again?

This brings to mind some thoughts:

(1) ANY new report on a "Bad" thing we do or use that now is found to cause cancer or health problems is sure to be refuted soon, and probably found to be BENEFICIAL soon after.

(2)Do you think this was a scare encouraged by the cookware industry? I first heard it during a "home demonstration" of Stainless Cookware, where they tried to scare you off of aluminum and cast iron. Kinda like Dupont sponsoring the study that finds freon causes Ozone depletion, right when the patent was expiring, and it's replacement is a "new" proprietary Dupont product?

(3) Don't throw away ANYTHING based on a "government report." Just like we were supposed to get rid of wood cutting boards and go to plastic or steel because of bacteria, but now wood has been found to be the SAFEST cutting surface because that nasty bacteria gets "absorbed" away from the surface where it dies, while the scratches on plastic and steel keep it right there and alive to contaminate other food no matter how you wash it?

(4) And why is the INITIAL report of "doom and gloom" ALWAYS on the front-page in bold headlines, but the follow-up that says "Oops, we were wrong" is buried on page 13 in small print?

I still think saccharine/Sweet and Low should SUE the Federal Government for all those years of "Cancer Warnings," now proved to be false. Think of the lost sales....
    Eibar Pimp. "Pssst! 'Ay Meester..."

LIKTOSHOOT
    (7/29/01 12:25:32 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: You didn't throw out those aluminum pots, did you?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GOT MILK????????
    "am not" R2

polishshooter
    (7/29/01 12:34:26 pm)
    Oh yeah, then did you hear about "Well Done Meat Causes Cancer" this week?

Only a little while after being told to "Be Sure to Thoroughly Cook any Meat" to guard against e-coli and other stuff...

You'd think we were all little kids, and the Government was our "Mommy..."
    Eibar Pimp. "Pssst! 'Ay Meester..."

kdubaz
    (7/29/01 12:34:40 pm)
    Always tell anyone who will listen - the warnings of today will be recanted tomorrow, so just use your own judgement when it comes to food and medicine.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

Different name
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/29/01 12:58:35 pm)
    | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: You didn't throw out those aluminum pots, did you?
    I'll bet POODLES would be happy for someone to denounce Chinese food.....OSoooo!

Charlie D
    ---------------------
    Some days you are the pigeon,
    and some days you are the statue.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/29/01 4:17:05 pm)
    Simply put....Common Sense goes a long way !!!!

Guns don't cause crime anymore than flies caues garbage.

Xracer
    (7/29/01 6:59:37 pm)
    DAMN!! Now I'll have to run to the Town Dump....err, sorry....The Municipal Sanitary Landfill...to see if I can find my Colt Commander!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.