You got a nick name?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crpdeth, Dec 6, 2017.

1. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Dang it Mak, I just spit coffee everywhere :D.

Ksman75, m77user, Big Mak and 2 others like this.
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

This is one of my best friends "Lil' Bit" in the blue shirt, from last winter while we were working on some pigs.

It's funny, sometimes, when you name a kid something and get just the opposite, he was kinda the runt in a family of boys, I remember him as quiet and off to himself... Well, I was 18 when I started hanging out with the family, he was like 8 or 9, so not too much in common until we got a little older.

It's kinda hard to tell, in the pic, since I'm not exactly tiny, but the guy is huge and strong as a freaking ox. He'll throw a 250 lb pig in the back of the truck and never grunt.

me&lil2.jpg me&lil.jpg

3. aarondhgraham

aarondhgraham Well-Known Member

I was named after my father (Howard) and my grandfather (Hughes),,,
    So in 1951, I became Howard Hughes Graham.

Thanks Mom. :(

Mom birthed me while my father was on a long-haul truck run,,,
    He didn't like her choice of name so he saddled me with the nick-name Buster

Thanks Dad. :confused:

Howie, Howard the Coward (instant fist-fight), Howard Huge, Baby Huey, Graham Cracker, Buster Brown, Buster Crabs, Buster Cherry, & Busturd were some of the derivatives I suffered through.

Anyone blame me for legally changing my name to Aarond H. Graham?

Aarond

Grizzley1, ysacres, Daffyd and 7 others like this.
  4. RAE Industries

RAE Industries Well-Known Member

Should of spelled Aaron correctly since you had so much time to think about it haha

5. aarondhgraham

"Should of spelled Aaron correctly since you had so much time to think about it haha"

But I didn't want to be named Aaron,,,
    I wanted my name to be Aarond.

The funny thing about it is this,,,
    When my name was Howard I was constantly having to send back credit cards and other such stuff because more often than not they would mistake Harold for Howard.

I remember back in the 70's I got a Sears card that came back as Harold Graham,,,
    I tried for months (letters & phone calls) to get it corrected.

I finally quit making payments (on the advice of an Air Force lawyer),,,
    And included a letter from me in every bill saying that Howard Graham would be happy to pay his bill. But I didn't know any Harold Graham and would not pay any bill addressed to him.

So, just before I got out of the AF I used the legal service to have my name changed to Aarond,,,
    I sent my name change order off to several different companies/organizations,,,
    The only one who got it correct was my Social Security card (thank goodness).

Most came back as Arnold Graham, several with Aaron, and one Ardonde,,,
    My personal favorite though was Around H Graham.

A fella just can't win the game. :rolleyes:

Aarond

6. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Aarond, we will just call you "Fly Boy" (Howard Hughes) :)

tedwitt and m77user like this.
  7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Aarond, ya got me laughing, man...

I know this is thread drift, and that never :D happens here, but I gotta tell you this.

Years ago, while married to a different person than I am now, I filed our taxes at the first of the year in normal fashion, but the wife decided to take the completed paperwork to her Grannies house the next time she drove up there, which was probably several months later and they discovered a few more deductions which would have the Gov sending a few of those dollars back to us, okay great, money is good, but while they filled out the amended form, instead of putting my name first, she decided to put her name first (We call that a clue).

Believe it or not, this created two more people in the IRS files... Two men living in the same house with my exact name, and two women with hers.

No joke... When was that stimulus money sent out to everyone? like 2000 something? Well, we got two checks. That was my first hint that something was off, the first check was written with my name first, and the second with hers first. I sent one back saying that we had received two checks and they simply sent it right back again... I put it on top of the fridge, refusing to deposit it while I was still piecing this together.

Man this mess went on forever, I can't remember how many people we spoke with up there, for over a year, until they finally assigned us an outside 'moderator', who figured it all out in just a few minutes.

8. 2A-Jay

2A-Jay Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My Last name is Graham as well, and Graham Cracker is tossed at me all the time until I got out of the Navy. then the frequency went way down.

Through Boot Camp and Class "A" school after boot camp I was called Cucamonga. Seems very few in the Navy believed there really was such a place named Cucamonga. on the first day of Boot Camp the Company Commander asked every one where they were from, when it was my turn to reply I told the company commander "Cucamonga". He thought I was being a wise A$$ and I had to drop and give him 50 Push-ups. During noon meal thay day he went and read my Service Record and yep there it was as my Home of Record "CUCAMONGA CA"! Since that time when he called me out of the rest of the recruits is was always "Cucamonga, Front and Center!"

Big Mak, tedwitt, Crpdeth and 5 others like this.
  9. aarondhgraham

This is a small world 2A-Jay.

Back in the early 90's I attended Chaffee Community College,,,
    In Rancho Cucamonga, California.

Go figure!

Aarond

Big Mak, rawright54, Crpdeth and 2 others like this.
  10. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Indeed. As a kid, I used to hike and shoot in Cucamonga, before there was a Rancho. There wasn't much there, and it always seemed ironic to me that a place that, then, was a shanty town of poor people and jackrabbits, became a suburb for rich people. Some of my best times in life were spent racing my 67 Mustang on Baseline Rd through - and long past - Cucamonga.

11. 2A-Jay

Chaffee College was where Alta Loma High School Football Teams Played all their Home Games.

So you have probably seen the Old Burned out Garret Brothers Winery on the Corner or Foothill and Archibald then?

12. m77user

m77user Well-Known Member

I was named after my father David, neither he nor I were a sr or jr, therefore he called me Mick. I do not think it is referencing my race as he was German and mother was Austrian. May have something to do with my middle name being Michael though.

Big Mak, Crpdeth and ysacres like this.
  13. 2A-Jay

Baseline was a blast at 70mph got airborne a few times in my 62 Corvair. You remember the old Raines house (the original Rancho Cucamonga Ranch home)? I lived on Vinyard Right across the Street and Railroad Tracks.

Dang this world is getting smaller isn't it?

ysacres, Broot and One Shot like this.
  14. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It certainly is! The last time I was in Cucamonga (other than just passing through) I was celebrating a promotion with my co-workers at the Guasti Winery. That would have been about 1980. The wine was mediocre, but plentiful and free!:D

Big Mak and ysacres like this.
  15. 2A-Jay

Guasti Wine was as bad as Brookside winery wine. Even though I only lived 3/4 mile from it I never tasted Thomas Brothers Winery wine, though others seemed to like it. I have picked grapes for all the local wineries in the Cucamonga Area.