The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something that came up in another thread that Alpo mentioned that got me to thinking and that was how old we were when we got out 1st Deer rifle. I was 17 years old. It was a war prize German Mauser that my Uncle passed down to me. 8 mm 1944 vintage. Hunted with it a few years never shot anything with it. Man those sights were fine. Makes me wonder how the Germans ever hit anything in low light. Peeps would have been better. Don't have it anymore. Gave it to a friend who did some work at my house when i was laid up in the hospital. He loved Military style rifles. And i needed some room in my gun cabinet for a 1860 Henry rifle that i just had bought.

·
Super Moderator
29,556 Posts
I was 13 and it was a Rem 870 with a slug barrel and scope. We couldn't hunt deer with rifles there. After moving, it was an Enfield #1 Mk III that was sporterized. I still have it.

·
Super Moderator
43,451 Posts
Growing up, I can not ever remember going deer hunting, we did do a lot of squirrel and rabbit, but never deer so I never got a deer rifle. I remember the exact date when I received my first one, a Winchester model 670A in 30.06, it was on 6 December 1973, which was my second wedding anniversary and it was given to me by my wife.

·
Premium Member
7,580 Posts
Model 94 Winchester, .32 Win Special. I was the proudest 12 year old you ever saw. That rifle was stolen what I was 15, my Dad bought me a Model 70 30-06 to replace it.

You might recall me posting back in September that I finally replaced the Model 94 :) Still makes me smile.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My dad died in 1969 when I was 13, so I got his deer rifle. Winchester Model 70 Featherweight (1963 model) with a Redfield 2-7x scope. It was his pride and joy. I still have that gun, set up just the same. Still shoots sub MOA. I learned how to flinch shooting that gun, fortunately I learned to get over that! My son-in-law used that gun for deer hunting this year until he gets one of his own. Thanks for starting this trip down memory lane

·
Premium Member
15,086 Posts
The first one I hunted with was Dad's Savage made SMLE, obviously in 303 Brit. I never did kill a deer with that rifle but Dad did. There was not a lot of deer in southern Gasconade County, Missouri in the 60's and early 70's. The rifle has those wonderful aperture battle sights and was, and still is, very accurate. I inherited it 4 years ago when Dad passed away and soon thereafter passed it on to my oldest son. He was shooting some kind of military rifle silhouette match at the time and would use it along with his Swede. My first "deer rifle" was the same as many others, a Winchester od. 94 in 30-30. I didn't kill a deer until I was in my mid-20's but boy, I played a very serious catch up after that. Especially after we bought our own farm and could provide for them. 8 acres of alfalfa, a good acorn crop and lots of edge cover made for really good deer and rabbit hunting.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,305 Posts
No rifles in Iowa, so Mossberg 500 was my first deer “rifle”. Shot my first deer at 16 - he was about 125 yds, on the run.

·
GUNZILLA
7,835 Posts
I hunted since I was 9 years old with my father and grandfather. Dad was not much of a hunter so we never had any rifles. Dad would always borrow from a friend. First deer I shot was with a 30-06 Savage. I was 9 years old got a bruise on my shoulder that lasted a couple of weeks and had my first kiss with the scope on my left eyebrow.

I finally had my own deer rifle when I joined the Army with the bonus check they offered. I than bought a Savage rifle in 30-06, afterwards my 2nd rifle was a Winchester 30-30. To this very day I still own the same two deer rifles. Have never had the need or desire to try a different caliber for hunting.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
My first gun was when I was 12 and my grandpa gave me a Stevens double barrel 20 ga. Shot my first deer, a 9 pt buck at age of 13. Grandpa passed away that year and I got his 141 Remington Gamemaster in .35Rem. Killed several deer with that gun and still pull it out of the safe on occasions when feeling nostalgic (same with the .20 GA for small game).

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
As an adult a Remington model-742 4 shot auto 30-06.A treasured memory of hiking in a Nevada mountain range in the center of the state for 3 days at 7000ft.picking off a deer across the canyon I was in.I had a buck and a doe tag and then about 8 doe’s came through the bottom of the canyon and I had my safety on.I hesitated and went to fire and they were gone.I was freezing cold for days and was upset and then notice a hudge buck sideways with its rack lite up in the sun directly across the canyon from me watching the doe’s running at the bottom of the canyon.I rested the 30-06 on a log and took a deep breath and exhaled with the crosshairs of the scope about a foot over the deer and pulled the trigger.Boooommmmm!The shot echoed through the canyon and my father in-law said fire again you missed.As I went for another shot the deer just dropped.
First deer rifle and first deer.

·
GUNZILLA
7,835 Posts
I am amazed at how many of us hunted or started with a
30-06. Good to know there was and still is a lot of wisdom when it came to caliber choice.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts