The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Don't laugh at me, but I didn't grow up hunting. Didn't get a deer rifle until my FIL gave me one as a wedding present. I've only been hunting now about 5-6 years. Haven't tagged one yet, but I hope to. It's a 742 Remington 30-06 and I love that rifle

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
My first deer RIFLE was a used Remington 760 carbine with an 18" barrel in .280 Remington. It was used, but looked like new. My nephew still has it. He added a Leupold compact 2x7 scope. I started hunting with a shotgun, I was in a shotgun only county. It was my 1st shotgun, my Dad bought it for me when I turned 16 and could hunt alone. It's a J.C. Higgins model 50 (High Standard) and I still have it. I racked up (pardon the pun) quite a few deer with both in Wisconsin 50+ years ago.

·
Premium Member
9,933 Posts
Don't laugh at me, but I didn't grow up hunting. Didn't get a deer rifle until my FIL gave me one as a wedding present. I've only been hunting now about 5-6 years. Haven't tagged one yet, but I hope to. It's a 742 Remington 30-06 and I love that rifle
No laughing here. I did go deer hunting for the first time at 17, but did not go again until I was 43.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I got my first high powered rifle when I was 12, a Jap 7.7 but ammo for it back then was virtually non existent. I used 7.65 rounds in it but they were FMJ. My first actual deer rifle was an 8 MM Mauser right out of the 15 dollar drum at Gibsons dept store when I was 13.

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
It took me in the neighborhood of 10 or 11 years of sitting in the woods before I got my first one.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
My first year in the woods deer hunting was before I could get a license. I just went with my Dad and carried a 22. He wouldn’t let me shoot a deer I could see but he couldn’t. :). Second year I carried a Mossberg bolt action .410. When I was 13 my Dad got a 30.06 so I got to use his Winchester 1894 30-30. I sort of left handedly inherited it over time and still have it. Didn’t get a deer with it until I was 17 but I did get a bear that first year using it. It is the only rifle I had or used from 66 to 95.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
It took me in the neighborhood of 10 or 11 years of sitting in the woods before I got my first one.
George I almost had 2 this past fall... First one was late opening day. Sitting in a brush pile when a buck 6-8 point and his girlfriend came out. Waaaaaay to the right. To far to get turned without alerting them, so I shot left-handed, (I've practiced this shot, but apparently not enough) huge miss from 30-40 yards. Following weekend about 8:30ish, sitting off of an adjacent field from the previous weekend stood up to take a leak, midway through I look up and there's a doe staring at me from about 125 yards away. Slowly zipped up picked up my rifle, and watched. She went back to eating, and I waited. Figured a buck would be close by at some point, after what felt like hours, probably only 3 minutes I guessed she was alone. Took the shot. Waited a bit as she ran off, blood on the dirt, tracked her for about 2 miles, had a buddy bring down a tracking beagle, never found her. Near as I can figure shortly after she hit the treeline I heard a shot from the holler over in that direction, meaning someone else finished her off. Truthfully I think I may have myself a deer next year. Either way, I'm already hooked! I'm currently scheming to get a new rifle just for deer. Love my 742 and it's very near and deer to me (forgive the pun), but why not have the perfect excuse for a new gun?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
There ain't much better than fried, young gray squirrel....with okra and taters and onions!!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I guess my 1st rifle that I bought was an M-1 Garand and took 2 deer with it. Growing up, I used dad's 30-06 Remington 742 that he got from the game warden and I've taken every deer except for 3 with that rifle(2 with the Garand,1 with an SKS). We still shoot that rifle 40 years later. I inherited one in the same model and same caliber as that 30-06 but have yet to take a deer with it.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts