The Firearms Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is the one I posted about it is the bottom picture, was my oldest brothers, he sold it to me for 150.00 years ago, I eventually put an ATI stock on it to replace the wood, it was sporterized by parker hale, it was one that is marked with the M47C and a TR and there is an S below the bolt release, so apparently it started out as one good enough to be a sniper rifle before it got sporterized.
And here is one my dad had and did the work himself, he is now 95 and passed it on to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My first was a Marlin 336 in 35; new in the box a giant $85 bucks. Which was a ton of money for a Navy E-3. Lost it in a divorce many years later but got my first two deer with it on the same morning only a week after I bought it. Replaced it some years later and it’s still one of my favorite rifles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My first was in my late teens or early twenties it was a M1 Garand that I bought it at a local gun store for $500. When I brought it home my father (served in WW2) was more excited than I was. It was my only deer rifle for a couple of decades.
It's a safe queen now for the most part but I still get it out every now and then. I mostly hunt hogs these days and appreciate a lighter rifle for that task.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I bought a CVA stag horn muzzloader so it could be used anywhere and for any season here in Michigan. It’s was 80 dollars brand new around 1999. I put a 200 dollar scope on it. It worked well and hasn’t been shot in many many years since my gun cabinet has filled up.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I grew up hunting from the age of 9. My first gun capable of taking deer was a shot gun, a 12 gauge Long Tom my mom bought for me at age 12. My first deer rifle was a 30-06, Remington 740 BDL. I bought it new in 77. Lost it when I got divorced from my first wife. Her family didn't get it, I had to trade it for a car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Growing up, I can not ever remember going deer hunting, we did do a lot of squirrel and rabbit, but never deer so I never got a deer rifle. I remember the exact date when I received my first one, a Winchester model 670A in 30.06, it was on 6 December 1973, which was my second wedding anniversary and it was given to me by my wife.
** That’s a Great Wife!

·
GUNZILLA
7,547 Posts
My grandfather used to shoot his Long Tom during 4th of July and New Years. That was one long barrel at least 32" it think.
12 gauge Long Tom my mom bought for me at age 12

Reactions: Fletch.N

·
Registered
187 Posts
My first deer rifle is my dads first deer rifle he got when he was about 13 or 14. 1970 Sears & Roebuck model 54 30/30. I was about the same age when it as passed down to me. Out of all my rifles this is probably my favorite to shoot and hunt with (I haven't had any luck but I have only been hunting a few times) my first hunting rifle that I bought is a 1891 (1893) Argentine Mauser 7.65x53 semi sporter I am going to make it look like an original rifle but just shorter.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Savage model 99E in .308 . Bought in 1981from friend for $85.00 with a weaver k-4 scope . Still have it .It took my first deer and my son got his first with it .

·
11,742 Posts
Something that came up in another thread that Alpo mentioned that got me to thinking and that was how old we were when we got out 1st Deer rifle. I was 17 years old. It was a war prize German Mauser that my Uncle passed down to me. 8 mm 1944 vintage. Hunted with it a few years never shot anything with it. Man those sights were fine. Makes me wonder how the Germans ever hit anything in low light. Peeps would have been better. Don't have it anymore. Gave it to a friend who did some work at my house when i was laid up in the hospital. He loved Military style rifles. And i needed some room in my gun cabinet for a 1860 Henry rifle that i just had bought.
It sounds like you needed another gun cabinet.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Something that came up in another thread that Alpo mentioned that got me to thinking and that was how old we were when we got out 1st Deer rifle. I was 17 years old. It was a war prize German Mauser that my Uncle passed down to me. 8 mm 1944 vintage. Hunted with it a few years never shot anything with it. Man those sights were fine. Makes me wonder how the Germans ever hit anything in low light. Peeps would have been better. Don't have it anymore. Gave it to a friend who did some work at my house when i was laid up in the hospital. He loved Military style rifles. And i needed some room in my gun cabinet for a 1860 Henry rifle that i just had bought.
That struck sort of a raw nerve. Dad brought home his Garand from WW2 and gave it to his father. Years later I heard from my uncle that Pop (Grandpa) gave that Garand to someone who painted the house. You wouldn't believe all the grandkids and cousins who still moan and groan about that.

I forget what the age was back around 1960 in NYS that you could hunt deer. Probably 12-14 maybe. Whatever the age was, Dad came home one day with a .243 Sako Forrester that actually came with a peep sight, though Dad mounted a 3x9 on it. He might have gotten a decent price on it since someone had already cut the beautiful French Walnut stock back pretty short and then added a non descript piece of wood to get the correct length of pull. It had a rubber sleeve covering it all but was a great rifle. Illinois wasn't a rifle state when I moved here so I left it home and Mom eventually started using it.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts