The Firearms Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
the Glenfield Mod.10 by Marlin. I bought for my kid when he was 9 is an excellent shooter I picked it up from a guy at work for $25, the old 22 my gramma gave my dad about 20 years ago was a great little shooter. I dont remember the exact model and have yet to see another. all i remember from searchin for a new stock is it had an obscure Model number like Sears model 103.8. I contacted a vintage gun parts dealer who said there was no such thing. So I emailed him a pic of the model and number. the stock was unfortunately destroyed when my parents had their house fire the rest of the gun was in a plastic flambuea type gun case and got melted plastic all over it, we found it in the spring i was working on restoring it when my father became bed ridden with emphyzema. he said he was gonna work on it but there is no way he can work on it with the solvents he'll need to use. Mom said she will give it back to me when hes gone so I can finish it. all the little pieces are oiled in ziplocs and the rest i just oiled and wrapped in an oily rag.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sounds very nice, LetMGrow......think we all could take a peek at it?
I'm not too handy with this phone/picture/computer thing. I'll see if my son or daughter can help me out.

Reactions: DCman

·
Registered
267 Posts
That would be great!
Thank you.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I am the oddball cause I have never owned a bolt action .22 and only shot one maybe 2-3x . But I would like to add to a side list of favorite .22 and it would be the Winchester model 190 semi auto rifle my dad taught me to shoot with in about 1970-72 . I still got it and taught my kids to shoot and grandkids . Wouldn't sell it for nothing .

·
Registered
104 Posts
There are two values for guns I own. The actual cash value and the most important value, "The sentimental Value". I have no interest in parting with any of them I own. Someday one of my children will own them and they will have the opportunity to pass them down to my Grandchildren. Hopefully they will do the same.
It seems odd to me but as I type this response I got a lump in my throat. Today being October 3 would be my Dad's birthday if he was still here. He's been gone for a while but the fond memories live on. That Mossberg hanging on my wall brings many good memories back.
Take your kids shooting. They will remember you for it.
Regards
Lynn

·
Registered
19 Posts
Excited to see so many 67s in this list. This one is new to me, it is in great condition. My favorite and only single action .22.

Win 67 TFF.JPG

Have to share it again (I've shared a couple times recently, proud of her).

·
Registered
10 Posts
My favorite was the first real firearm I owned, a Colt Colteer 1-22. My parents wouldn't let me have a real gun at the time. My only gun then was a Daisy pump. In 1962 when I was fifteen we were visiting relatives in the Florida panhandle and my cousin down there was buying a .22 automatic (what we called semi-automatics back then). He offered me his Colteer for $5.00. We hid it under the spare tire in my dad's car and it returned to South Carolina with me. I don't think my parents ever knew I had it. My dad expressed interest in purchasing a Browning .22 takedown from Sears for around $80 but never seemed willing to pull the trigger, so to speak. When I was seventeen I got tired of waiting and purchased a JC Higgins Model 25 for $29.95 because I couldn't afford the Browning. I still have the Model 25 and the Colteer. I have a few other older 22s also. Among these are a Nylon 66 and a very old Springfield 87A with a JC Higgins Jr scope. I'd still like to find a nice Belgian Browning takedown someday just for old time sake.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
53ACC759-84CE-425F-B1A1-5C743E9BFCD7.jpeg
Winchester 1904 Boys Rifle. When I was about 10 my sister’s new boyfriend who was a city boy but collected guns used to bring it and other military rifles mostly Mausers out to our house because we lived in the country and could shoot all we wanted. I remember him always having a box of CCI LRs so I could shoot the Winchester. It was actually his grandfather’s that he had inherited. Fast forward 50 years or so and my now beloved brother in law died after a long illness. Sometime after, my sister who had sold off his extensive collection, quietly told me she wanted to keep his grandfather’s gun “in the family” and gave it to me. Turns out both of their kids, my nieces, turned into liberals who along with their spouses “didn’t want a gun in their house.” I was honored, but at the same time ashamed for my nieces, one of whom is my Godchild. I felt like I failed in some way.

But this is MY 9 year old granddaughter learning to shoot the same rifle this year. By the way, it shoots LR just fine, even though it’s stamped “Short, Long or Extra-Long”. Extra Long was the same dimensions as the LR, and about the same power even though it’s what the old Black Powder pre LR was called...

·
Super Moderator
25,738 Posts
View attachment 236338 Winchester 1904 Boys Rifle. When I was about 10 my sister’s new boyfriend who was a city boy but collected guns used to bring it and other military rifles mostly Mausers out to our house because we lived in the country and could shoot all we wanted. I remember him always having a box of CCI LRs so I could shoot the Winchester. It was actually his grandfather’s that he had inherited. Fast forward 50 years or so and my now beloved brother in law died after a long illness. Sometime after, my sister who had sold off his extensive collection, quietly told me she wanted to keep his grandfather’s gun “in the family” and gave it to me. Turns out both of their kids, my nieces, turned into liberals who along with their spouses “didn’t want a gun in their house.” I was honored, but at the same time ashamed for my nieces, one of whom is my Godchild. I felt like I failed in some way.

But this is MY 9 year old granddaughter learning to shoot the same rifle this year. By the way, it shoots LR just fine, even though it’s stamped “Short, Long or Extra-Long”. Extra Long was the same dimensions as the LR, and about the same power even though it’s what the old Black Powder pre LR was called...
Priceless.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have to agree with a million other guys. I have my father-in-law's Winchester 68, the rifle he got for his birthday when he was 12 in 1936. The next rifle he got was a gift from Uncle Sam in 1942 - an M1 Garand. The m68 is an m67 with a peep sight and a hooded front sight. I also have an m67 on which someone did a beautiful checkering job and added a side mount scope. Both are tack drivers.

I also have a Steven's. I'm still working on it. The front sight dovetail is a really weird size.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a young kid, I begged my dad to let me have a pellet rifle. He always refused because he thought I might put someone's eye out. When I turned 10 years old in 1965, he surprised me with a brand new Remington Model 521-T. It had the adjustable Williams peep sights on the rear. I didn't know at the time that it was a target rifle, but I had a blast with it when my dad and grandfather would take me out to the ranches and go plinking. Growing up with it as a young adult in my late teens, I learned how accurate it was when I became a regular at the shooting range. Now THAT was my favorite .22 shooting rifle! Even though it wasn't a single shot! Thanks dad! (miss him)

61 - 71 of 71 Posts