The Firearms Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Another thing to consider is the size and stature of someone while recommending a pocket carry handgun. A slim person wearing tight clothing may not be as comfortable carrying a revolver as they would be carrying a slimmer semi auto handgun. You need to carry something tailored to the way you dress rather than to dress to carry.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I'm sure many hunters can relate to that without going into detail here.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
It's not about what you shoot, it's where you shoot.
And hence my comment to the OP -

I haven't the time to practice more than once or twice a year.
I think that you have already sealed your fate.
Maybe, but not a foregone conclusion at all.
While I feel a 22LR is completely under powered as a quick response self defense round, if used by an accomplished shooter, who for some reason is limited to a 22LR, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye. How-ever if the 22LR user is not going commit or engage in adequate training and practice the pistol is nothing more than false sense of security.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
We are all not wired the same. The OP seems to know his priorities and has no illusions that the 22
hits like the hammer of Thor. Acknowledging his capabilities and the limitations of the 22 he feels the pocket 22 is his best fit at this time. Self honesty is no small asset.
How-ever if the 22LR user is not going commit or engage in adequate training and practice the pistol is nothing more than false sense of security.
That holds true for any caliber.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Ok, all this caliber talk has made me very, very insecure. Now I've lost all confidence in all my carry guns and just have to have something I can really, really rely on to get the job done. I think I found it, but you have to make that one shot count, because it may take some time before you can shoot another one.........

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
You need to check out a S&W revolver —- smooth trigger in DAO.
I have a few S&W revolvers. Matter of fact thats the only DA/SA revolvers I do have. Anyone who told you you can shoot as good in DA as in SA told you a fib. DA is mainly for rapid fire not hitting a target.

You can practice all you want listening to the little clicks that tell you you are almost there but you can throw all that out the window when your hearts beating 200 beats per min. and a 200 pound goober is coming at you full speed swinging a bat at you.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
I have a few S&W revolvers. Matter of fact thats the only DA/SA revolvers I do have. Anyone who told you you can shoot as good in DA as in SA told you a fib. DA is mainly for rapid fire not hitting a target.

You can practice all you want listening to the little clicks that tell you you are almost there but you can throw all that out the window when your hearts beating 200 beats per min. and a 200 pound goober is coming at you full speed swinging a bat at you.
Are you sure ;)

😂😂😂

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
throw all that out the window when your hearts beating 200 beats per min. and a 200 pound goober is coming at you full speed swinging a bat at you.
Fortunately I have specific anti-goober training.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Back around 1988 at the Masters Pistol Tournament, I was on the practice range next to him. He was practicing on plates, running very fast and knocking them down. I was shooting into the berm on purpose, just trying to keep up with his speed. Couldn't do it. He was in the professional class and I was in the sportsman class. This was before he became so famous and started shooting speed records. Back then though, he was still in the top echelon of fast shooters. I think it was either that year or the next that he was on the Smith and Wesson competition shooting team.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
2,635 Posts

If I had a S&W revolver in my hands and goober was coming at me with a bat, do you seriously think I would take the time to manually cock the hammer each time for a well placed shot?????

When our club built some regulation bowling pin tables and we started holding matches, the most favorite handgun we all used were our .22 autos. All we had to do was knock them over and so we could go real fast. Many of the shooters over the next year or two got to where they could clear the table of 5 pins from the low ready in under 3 seconds and some of us were approaching 2.5 seconds. We talk about using a .22lr for defense. Back then I could put 5 rounds into a quarter shooting just as fast as I could at maybe 7 yards or so. An impressive trick and I'd hate to think of how much damage that could do to an organ or brain, but I don't carry my MKII for defensive purposes.

But put a revolver in our hands and the times slowed down appreciably. That is when I made it a point to never, ever, manually cock the hammer, but to always begin and end using dao. At first you want to go sa on the first shot, but you soon realize that messes with your rhythm. Eventually, you learn to trust yourself and can clear the table in under 3 seconds dao. It's a real hoot and those smooth S&W triggers make it easier. I've seen a Ruger 100 that was worked over that was also very smooth in dao.

Reactions: tedwitt and ral357

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Well it is unlikely you have tried them all.
A pocket gun by definition is a gun small enough to fit in your pocket. That has become synonymous with lightweight.
It's not the size of the gun that is getting to you, it's the weight.
If you are flinching or anticipating......you are NOT practicing enough.
It's not the gun, it's you.
Some people never get comfortable firing a centerfire gun.
And keeping in mind how you obsess over flinching.....you could be one of those people.
Find a gun range that rents guns and go down the line until you find one.
There is most likely one that will do what you want......but you still have to get over the flinching and anticipatory issues you have.
Neither of those are the fault of the gun.

How often do you practice with your 642?
Those Airweights are brutal with most .38 rounds.
That's not going to help his flinch reflex one bit.
Perhaps you misunderstood me MW, I was NOT advocating that the OP, get/use a 642 Airweight - simply that that is what I have (gravitated to) been mainly carrying.

I am not recoil averse and grew up shooting. (Spent some time in the Army as well.) I shoot pretty regular off my back deck and @ my next door neighbors back yard range. (Up to 100 yards.) Another Neighbor/Buddy's longer range (on his property) just down the road that I can use whenever I want.

So yes, I shoot quite often. (Before ammunition got rediculous anyway.)

41 - 60 of 91 Posts