The Firearms Forum banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
A 22 is better than no gun. Center of mass is going to make miscreants stop and think. 22 certainly is short on scale of stopping power but is responsible for its share of toe tags. I can recite a couple of local cases of lightning kills with 22s as well as walk ins at Eroom.

·
Registered
256 Posts
OK. I'll put the flinch aside for now.
If you are unable to carry something other than a .22...
Whatever you do buy, practice practice practice.
With the smaller caliber your aim will have to be more accurate because you may have to put more bullets on the target than with a larger caliber.
A semi-auto will give you a bit more speed to accomplish that, once you become proficient with it.
I just bought a S&W M&P .22 compact.
It would fit in my pocket if I wanted to carry it.
It has a light trigger, it's very accurate and doesn't weigh too much....with a .22 recoil isn't an issue.
Another on I would consider is a Walther P22.
But DO go to a range where you can rent various handguns and get the feel for what you want.
You may surprise yourself and find the best of both worlds with a smaller caliber that won't hurt your hand or make you flinch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
And hence my comment to the OP -

While I feel a 22LR is completely under powered as a quick response self defense round, if used by an accomplished shooter, who for some reason is limited to a 22LR, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye. How-ever if the 22LR user is not going commit or engage in adequate training and practice the pistol is nothing more than false sense of security.
Again not a guaranty, just a guess. Maybe a likelihood, but far too many variables to make any call.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I haven't the time to practice more than once or twice a year. I have heavier guns in larger chamberings that I shoot fine, but are not viable options for carry. I couldn't disagree more with your conclusion, because a gun that's not comfortable to carry will not be carried and I've already addressed the concept that any gun carried is better than the one left at home.

Nope I will not carry at the sacrifice of comfort and because of that I can only pocket carry. Because of this I can only do small guns. This is exactly why I've determined I need a smaller caliber with less recoil and a better trigger system with less travel to compensate for anticipation flinch. Hence me being here.

No, the 22 is the right round for sure, I'm just trying to determine the right gun. I'm picking up a bobcat I ordered today and will try the LCP lite while I'm there to see if it might be a better option. I was just hoping maybe they're was a gun I might be missing in my consideration, but I'm pretty confident now, after talking it out here, that the Bobcat was the correct choice.

Actually I think the 25 is rather worthless. A slow donkey of a round that is tiny. Even the 22lr is usually larger grain and higher velocity. So while I loved that gun, the round really just wasn't a wise choice. I know the Bobcat is a little bigger, but still small enough to be a great little pocket piece and same platform so I'll be happy with it. I might try to find another 850 though, just for fun the very few times I have to go enjoy shooting.
You notice a recoil difference between LR and WMR? There really isn’t any, unless it’s just the noise that makes you flinch.

Have you looked into American Arms?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Different people have different reasons to carry and different abilities. If you choose .22, at least you are set to defend yourself. I like my LCPII, but just getting used to it right now. I found good ammo in a defense load that goes off every time, so I am good there. Just practicing and breaking it in for now. It will probably be a pocket or backup gun for me. I currently have a NAA 22 WMR for the BUG purposes and also use the .25Auto as a pocket gun in certain situations. I did se many videos that show the difference in penetration. The 22LR was the winner. But the 25 is better than nothing at all. Take the comments and form your own decision as with anything else nowadays. I work with a lot of new shooters and just recently had one who worked best with a carry size 22LR because the LCPII was too small. I am not here to judge, just to help. Something that increases your ability to survive is a win in my book.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I forgot to mention practice its the best tool, but I think everyone here has that covered. I usually use a break in period of 500 rounds for a new gun then start finding out the best and most accurate ammo. Anything I carry outside the house gets rounds put through it at least once per month at the range, which is minimum in my mind. House guns are 2 times per year, but usually more because they are so fun to shoot. Long guns annually at a minimum, but again they are so fun to shoot, mine get out more than that. My shotguns get regular exercise, but the defense one only gets rounds through it every 2 years with annual cleaning for safety. On that one I have the barrel covered so dust doesn't get down the barrel.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
When I first heard the reports of so many wounded in the Brooklyn subway shooting and no deaths, I automatically assumed a .22 auto of some kind. I was amazed to hear he had a Glock. I assume it was a 9mm but haven't heard for sure it wasn't a .22. The only report I did read was that it was a .38. Really? Maybe between the smoke and the gas mask his aim was thankfully terrible.

• Haha
Reactions: Truthsabre

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I were going to carry a rimfire pistol, it would be my KelTec PMR-30 in .22mag in an IWB holster. Having 30 rounds of this ammunition and, if needed a 2nd mag full I would feel well defended.
I am still trying to get my PMR-30 to cycle properly. Trigger is too light for self defense carry as well. It is fun and I like it, but it has a different use.

·
Registered
379 Posts
When I first heard the reports of so many wounded in the Brooklyn subway shooting and no deaths, I automatically assumed a .22 auto of some kind. I was amazed to hear he had a Glock. I assume it was a 9mm but haven't heard for sure it wasn't a .22. The only report I did read was that it was a .38. Really? Maybe between the smoke and the gas mask his aim was thankfully terrible.
I read 9MM Glock, then .380 Glock, and that it jammed while he was trying to load a second magazine. It will come out when the smoke clears. I', sure they will play down the race issue like they're doing with car massacre in Wisconsin.

·
Super Moderator
46,501 Posts
I have posted this before, probably a couple of times, but when I first bought my PMR, I bought a little over a thousand rounds of Winchester X ammo for it. I almost sold the gun because it would NOT work with the things. It had FTF, FTE, and stove pipes on just about every round that almost ejected, and I thought it was a "gun" problem. I found some Armscor ammo then some CCI and never had another problem, other than a thousand rounds of crappy Winchester ammo. I finally bought a .22 magnum bolt action Ruger rifle to shoot those in.

Try a different ammo before you give up on it!

·
Registered
164 Posts
One more! My dad bought a huge bull once upon a time with intentions of improving the herd. It was twice the size of any other critter. One day a few kids in a pick up were getting crazy on the dirt road running by the fence where the bull stood munching grass. One of the kids fired off a .22 at the ground, trying to scare the bull. The bullet hit a rock & bounced up - straight into the bull's gut. The bull died a slow death.
You can kill with an ice pick. It's a matter of being able to use your tool. A small bullet has to be placed to work so accuracy and dependability are paramount. A derringer might be great at a few feet but not across the living room. I've a TX22 that's dependable but worthless beyond about 15 feet due to inaccuracy. Point is, analyze what you expect to need the gun for & choose for those situations. Possibly get two weapons to bridge any gap. Good luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ok...my 2 cents. Ever try Remington Yellow Jacket 22lr ammo? Magnum velocity in a lr cartridge. I have been tempted to try it myself. It made one of the crime shows on TV several years ago, because it was (unfortunately) used in a very bad way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
And what about 22 revolver? Ruger LCR or S&W J Frame, could be a good choice, in 22 LR or in 22 WMR. I am not a Ruger owner but Ruger LCR in 22 WMR is often quoted as being a good choice.

I have an old S&W 34-1, 2 inches, round butt, pinned and recessed. This little gun accepts all type of 22 (22 short, 22 long Z, 22 shotshells, 22 LR of all types).
When I want some more power, I use 22LR minimag.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
One more! My dad bought a huge bull once upon a time with intentions of improving the herd. It was twice the size of any other critter. One day a few kids in a pick up were getting crazy on the dirt road running by the fence where the bull stood munching grass. One of the kids fired off a .22 at the ground, trying to scare the bull. The bullet hit a rock & bounced up - straight into the bull's gut. The bull died a slow death.
You can kill with an ice pick. It's a matter of being able to use your tool. A small bullet has to be placed to work so accuracy and dependability are paramount. A derringer might be great at a few feet but not across the living room. I've a TX22 that's dependable but worthless beyond about 15 feet due to inaccuracy. Point is, analyze what you expect to need the gun for & choose for those situations. Possibly get two weapons to bridge any gap. Good luck.
I know this thread is older, but I watched a YT video today (it came up in my recommended feed)…

That showed a rancher putting down like 10 cattle, at various distances, with a 22. They all went down like a rock, instantly.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts