The Firearms Forum banner
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
I had an ornery CharAngus steer that went 800lbs. It was a wild thing and wouldn’t let you near it. Get within 25yds and it would bolt. I shot it from about that range with 22 and killed it dead with a shot right above its eyes when it had head down.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had an ornery CharAngus steer that went 800lbs. It was a wild thing and wouldn’t let you near it. Get within 25yds and it would bolt. I shot it from about that range with 22 and killed it dead with a shot right above its eyes when it had head down.
Yep. Those were all the kills I saw in this video. Head down, above their eyes.

I had no idea a 22 could take down cattle that effectively.

·
Premium Member
17,270 Posts
That was that flippin' Charlois in him. I had a Brangus bull like that except he did't bolt, he'd come after you and he was a site more than 800 lbs. He wouldn't stau home either. I kept him one cycle and shipped him. I suspect he made McDonalds burgers. That's about all he was good for as far as I was concerned. Boy he threw a good calf but he darn sure wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
A precise aimed shot is a little different than a shot fired quickly in state of extreme stress...........the record Grizzly at one time was killed with one shot from a 22 long fired at bad breath distance into the ear. That doesn't make 22 long a griz gun.

·
Registered
Keltec ,S&W, Taurus, AMT, Ruger, Browning, Diamondback.....
42 Posts
I wanted to get my girlfriend a new concealed carry for her b-day last year so I bought her a Ruger LCP 380. Unfortunately her hand was too weak from chemo to rack this weapon. I tried to coach her to build some strength, but no go. The next gunshow I traded the .380 in for the same LCPII set up in .22lr, it is much easier to rack and she has become pretty proficient with it at the range. For all my good intentions, she still insists carrying her old school S&W Airweight 38SPL. I figure it is too big for a purse gun. Too slow to "Yank that Smoke Wagon". This is just one more example where she wants what she wants, and my best response is "yes dear, I am ONLY a man"

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
I wanted to get my girlfriend a new concealed carry for her b-day last year so I bought her a Ruger LCP 380. Unfortunately her hand was too weak from chemo to rack this weapon. I tried to coach her to build some strength, but no go. The next gunshow I traded the .380 in for the same LCPII set up in .22lr, it is much easier to rack and she has become pretty proficient with it at the range. For all my good intentions, she still insists carrying her old school S&W Airweight 38SPL. I figure it is too big for a purse gun. Too slow to "Yank that Smoke Wagon". This is just one more example where she wants what she wants, and my best response is "yes dear, I am ONLY a man"
Nothing wrong with an [email protected] 38 airweight. If she likes it and is comfortable with it thats 90% of the show right there.

·
Super Moderator
31,591 Posts
I'm surprised that she had problems racking the Ruger but doesn't have any problem with the horrific trigger on the S&W.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
I have a 637 and it is indeed a great little gun.
But a few cylinders of standard .38's and it can be a painful experience.
Those little guns have higher recoils than many if not most compacts.
The comfort I was referring to is psychological. This issue she has is not being able to rack the slide. Until you have dealt with arthritis of the thumbs or hands you really do not understand. A small revolver is much easier to deal with, more recoil or not, than gripping and racking a small slide with stout spring.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts