The Firearms Forum banner

Your choice for Personal Defense bullet

4K views 42 replies 30 participants last post by  myfriendis410 
#1 ·
I really wanted to start a poll and get folks to vote on their choice for a general, all around personal defense bullet from a handgun, but the polls have a max limit of 4 choices and there's obviously way more to choose from then that, sooooo, I'm going to just pose the question: What is your choice for a general purpose handgun defense bullet, regardless of who is loading it. This is about the bullet itself rather than the ammunition manufacturer. And we're talking about general, all around use, not special purpose applications. If you want to elaborate as to why your bullet is your choice, that would be great. Thanks much!

#4 ·
I use Hornady XTPs (JHPs), in 9MM. Weight depends on barrel length. For my sub compacts 124 grn., full size 147 grn.

#8 ·
Berry's .40S&W 180 grain Hollow Point. I don't want to shoot anyone, but if I do, I don't want to chase him/her around to shoot them again.

#10 ·
My favorite SD bullet is whatever I can get to first. If the weapon I grab is loaded with 230 gr ball I certainly aint gonna complain.. Imma shoot!

But, my preffered SD bullet based on my testing is hands down the .45 cal 185 gr Remington Goldensaber. Actually any of the Goldensabers as they all expand easily and fully, but I like the velocity of the 185s. Makes for an uglier impact cavity for the coroner to pick thru when examining the bad guy..

#14 ·
FMJ Is my choice first then hollow points. in 45
FMJ first? I'd much rather use a hard cast or HP first for self defense. Not trying to get your feathers up; but there is a ton of data out there that FMJ is NOT the best decision for PD when there are other options available.

.327 Federal - loaded up with Hydra-shoks and speed loaders are filled with FN Hardcast.

357 - Nothing but DEWC; nasty nasty nasty.

45 - 200 and 230 gn XTP's I haven't decided which is better, but I know they'll both do the job. First two mags are XTP's, the next two are 200gn Hardcast.

#15 ·
I know you said "hand gun".... with a bit of liberal application. My hand fits around my short barreled 12 gauge real well, and favorite fix'ns are high base #4 in chamber, and magazine full of double 0 buck.
"Don't use lights and sirens to respond please, and bring multiple body bags and some mops" would be correct response.
Friend sez: "better to tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Bought that low cost 12 gauge the morning of my car being torched - short story . .neighbor felt he was the target, but the bad guy got confused by driveway situation and my car got lit up. Bought the gun, and installed yard lights, and have had no opportunity to use the 12 gauge.

#16 ·
And pray you never do. But remain prepared to do so without hesitation. I have killed many living things, no humans yet, but I pray ill never have to. But will if I need to.

#17 ·
FMJ first? I'd much rather use a hard cast or HP first for self defense. Not trying to get your feathers up; but there is a ton of data out there that FMJ is NOT the best decision for PD when there are other options available.

.327 Federal - loaded up with Hydra-shoks and speed loaders are filled with FN Hardcast.

357 - Nothing but DEWC; nasty nasty nasty.

45 - 200 and 230 gn XTP's I haven't decided which is better, but I know they'll both do the job. First two mags are XTP's, the next two are 200gn Hardcast.
There's data and then there's data. Because of .45 ACP's velocity penetration is an issue, and penetration to vital organs is the number one factor in stopping power; even more of a factor then temporary or permanent cavitation. Regardless of advances in HP design I'm not sure that many of them can match FMJ penetration. I'm not saying HP's are a bad choice, I just wouldn't rule out .45 FMJ as a good one also.
Penetration isn't as much of an issue in magnum loads so HP's are a better choice. JMO.

#18 ·
I like any bullet that is big, and fast. My favorite is the: Speer Gold Dot .45 ACP 230 gr JHP 890fps. This bullet will get 12-13" of penetration, any more and you are running the risk of over penetration.
Second choice is just as good the Remington Golden Saber .230gr. 870fps

#20 ·
carver, if you don't mind what powder/load are you using for GDHP .45 ACP?
I don't reload my carry ammo, I buy it new, off the shelf. I do reload for my pistols, and I use the Hornady XTP in 230gr for .45APC, loaded over 5grs. of AA#2, for around 800fps, and the .44's get a 240gr XTP over 6.5grs of AA#5, for around 730fps. These loads are for hunting, but if I need to use them in the home, they will work just fine.

#21 ·
Kieth style, .357, 158 gr LSW.

#22 ·
I don't reload my carry ammo, I buy it new, off the shelf. I do reload for my pistols, and I use the Hornady XTP in 230gr for .45APC, loaded over 5grs. of AA#2, for around 800fps, and the .44's get a 240gr XTP over 6.5grs of AA#5, for around 730fps. These loads are for hunting, but if I need to use them in the home, they will work just fine.
i hear you, i do the same as i use store bought ammo for my carry ammo... i just like to practice with rounds that are similar... so i will reload with the GDHP and try to match the velocity of the factory round...

#23 ·
I don't reload for sd anymore either, so my favorite load is the factory winchester silvertip 185 grainer in the .45 acp. If I know I'm getting in a gunfight I'll just bring my .300 win mag and shoot 'em at 600 yards. Usually my home defense tool is a 12 gauge loaded with factory #6. Just find a doctor willing to pick all of THOSE out of someone's face........ewww. I really like the 170 gr. Sierra Power Jacket in the .41 magnum. It's AWESOME. Don't shoot it at night though 'cause the max load of 296 is blinding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.