The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here a topic I think might be fun and might make me not fill so dumb lol in 2007 I was out shooing and we ran out of rounds I told my self you should start reloading so what did I do look up how to reload or maybe ask some buddy's no I jumped in my truck went to the store and got my 1st reloading kit was a hornady Lock and load kit got some powder that said 270 on the label some bullets and primers and some 270 dies and went home set it up and went to town loading 10 round went out side shot grate well then went bad from there back in side deprimed my brass reprimed it then put power in and double loaded a round well RIP to my 270 was unfix able I got off lucky with a miner powder burn on my face and a cut on my cheek but a very valuable learning experience for me. I read that nice book in box wow the things I learned and how I got off very lucky

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I started reloading in 1978 so I could afford to shoot my new Ruger in .44mag. I started as cheap as I could, on the advice of a gun smith I was working with, on a second job. I started with the Lee Breech Lock Hand Press Kit, I'm thinking that back then it only cost about $30. A box of .44 caliber bullets, and a can of IMR 4227. Working two jobs didn't leave a lot of time for reloading, so sometimes I would reload as I shot. My first Ooops was the time I forgot to add the powder! The bullet made it about half way down the barrell. My soloution was to cut a stick, and ram the bullet out. Did the same thing a few months ago. A lot of bullets, in several calibers, loaded in between!

·
Super Moderator
28,105 Posts
I am thankful to say that I've never had that kind of oops. Any that I've had were done at the press, never a light or double charge issue, just crushed brass.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
When I got my then new Colt Delta Elite (10mm) when it first came out, there was virtually no reloading data for it. I assumed based on the published data for the Norma ammo, the only ammo available at the time, that the performance should be equal to 41 mag. So I used some 41 mag data for the 10mm.

Big mistake!!! The pressures generated blew the primer out and distorted the brass case. At this point in my reloading career I had only reloaded 9mm for less than a year. It was a great lesson (it did not hurt the gun, fortunately) for following the reloading manuals. Generating your own loading data is always a bad thing. If I had waited for the reloading industry to catch up I could have avoided the fiasco.

LDBennett

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Mine was undercharging some 9mm rounds. They still went "bang", but did not generate enough power to rack the slide back on my P95 properly. Other than that...good luck so far.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
i'm amazed you were able to double charge a 270 case! what powder did you use?

My worst oops so far was adjusting a crimp wrong and having to kinetic pull about 15 rounds and resize and reseat, after I had a couple failure to feeds from a bulged case mouth.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Well, I had a squib in 1969. Learned my lesson well; now I look in every case I charge with powder...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I reloaded a .357 round and had a FTF. I waited afew minutes and made sure gun was pointed down range. I pulled bullet and found a fuzzball from my pocket between powder and primer. If fuzz had smoldered could have had hangfire so I always check cases as I reload.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Had a Rockchucker, key word 'was'. Friend asked me to reload some brass for a friend of his and since I was reloading 45 for myself by the bucket full I figured a few more wouldn't inconvenience me any. Steel cases. Instead of throwing them away I tried anyway and broke my press. I bought another and finished the reloads and he was unhappy half of them didn't work. Well for the price he didn't pay and the price I did he had no beef but that was my last reload for anybody but me and my last steel case that ever touched my press. I was a lot dumber 37 years ago.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Ive had two squibs since I started reloading in dec of 2011.My son was rapid firing my glock and got on stuck and shot the second round and bulged my barrel.cost me 140 dollars for new barrel.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I unbolted a powder measure on a Dillon progressive 550 and proceded to spill 1 pound of powder on the floor.

Other than that, I guess I have been lucky so far..... reloading off and on since 1975.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Not really a reloading ooops - but an on-the-way-to-reloading oooops. 1971 and my first .44 Magnum, wanted to reload for the first time and it was .44 magnum. Bought 2 boxes factory ammo for the brass (different makes) and tossed the pistol and ammo in my car and up to the desert I go. Get there and found I forgot my ear plugs. Shot off 100 rounds without hearing protection from full power .44 mags from a pistol. BIG MISTAKE. My ears still ring from that stupid decision 40 years ago.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What powder were you using to allow for a "double" charge in a 270?
Don't remember what kinda powder it was I grabed a can said 270 on it at that time I was not even using my scale the dies I got had nice little scoop in them as I said had no clue what I was doing but some good did come of it I know to check twice and double space my rounds on my powder tray

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I unbolted a powder measure on a Dillon progressive 550 and proceded to spill 1 pound of powder on the floor.

Other than that, I guess I have been lucky so far..... reloading off and on since 1975.
My hoper fell off dump about the same some panty hoes and a vacuum work very well to reclaim your powder if you keep your floor clean

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
well, not sure what my first oops was, but my worst one was a while back with my G23.

Before I knew about 'the buldge' I had shot something like 50k rounds of reloads through it with narry a hiccup using mostly clays or titegroup.

I decided to load some full power loads (which I really never do) for some defense ammo, bad idea.

full power loads with titegroup in a bunch of old cases with serious bulges I'm certain, made it through almost the whole magazine and then BOOM!

extractor went into the next county, had full case head separation and all the springs were laying on the ground. My thumb was bleeding and hand hurt like hell! looked in my truck mirror to check for blood on my face but was OK, no serious damage. Lucky too, I was about 20 miles back in the woods by myself as per usual, could've been ugly.

new extractor and careful checking with the calipers, the gun is still OK and works fine to this day.

I now use medium power loads only and use reddin'ts GRx die. Also put a LW barrel in the G23

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
started reloading march 2011. Only two squib loads one in my 9mm and one in 40s&w. Luckily I caught both because action would not close on either. I now have LED light set up to visually look in each case. On a Dillon 550

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
hey, never thought of an LED light on the press; I've got flourescent tubes over my benches but another light would be of help for longer rifle cases; I always do a visual to ensure there's powder before I set the bullet in place.

I know dillon has the powder check but I don't have or use it. A small LED light would be cool

·
Registered
180 Posts
So far no "oops" for my self, he says knocking on every piece of wood I can find. But, the buddy of mine I bought my reloading equipment off of had I'd say more then his fair share of them.

Most memorable for me was when he offered to load up some .357 mag rounds if I bought the powder, bullets and primers, and he would just keep the leftovers after fifty rounds for himself as payment for his labor. Anyway, long story short, he was having trouble figuring out how to operate his scale (he told me later) and didn't get a heavy enough load in the rounds.

I knew instantly after the first shot that there was a problem, because out of an eight inch barrel Dan Wesson revolver the bullets were barely making it twenty five yards and hitting the dirt backstop. I figured I would just shoot them up as long as I saw some dirt kick up, and let him try again. About mid way through the rounds, one of them just didn't sound even as strong as the others, and I didn't see any dirt fly. Much to my amazement I looked at the muzzle of the revolver and there sticking out hanging by maybe just a sixteenth of an inch in the barrel was a bullet. I took hold of it with my thumb and first finger wiggled it slightly and it came right out. I've still got it, as a keep sake. Only thing I can figure is my buddy forgot the powder in that round.

After that I took the rounds back to him and let him pull the bullets and try again. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine was undercharging some 9mm rounds. They still went "bang", but did not generate enough power to rack the slide back on my P95 properly. Other than that...good luck so far.
Same buddy I bought my equipment off of, did the exact same thing to about a hundred rounds of 9MM. We were both shooting Tarus PF 92's and had to cycle the slide on every round. I would guess those rounds had about the same power as a .380 acp. Man, was my hand sore after that shooting session, but it was fun. :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts