Your gift to Her Majesty . . .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrkirker, Apr 3, 2009.

1. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I’ve been away for a couple of days, and as we’ve discovered, the I-Pod ‘gift’ was not an April Fool’s Joke, at least a joke that we were ‘let in’ upon. In another thread, Tranter mentioned a couple of gifts that might have been a little more, shall we say, appropriate. I feel his suggestions were ‘right on’, in that they reflected either an understood interest, or reflected an ideal or known entity that is cherished from the gifting country.

Let’s say that you’ve been selected at random to meet Her Majesty, and have been granted an unlimited account to purchase a gift to mark the occasion. If you would accept the invitation, and bearing in mind that you will represent your country, what memento would you offer to mark the occasion. (Question open to all, Down Unders, and Across the ponds!)

I would try to discover if she had a favorite liquor, and would offer the equilivent offering from this country.

2. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Well picking one of my earlier suggestions, and keeping in mind she is the head of a church, the Church of England I would have gone with a fancy bible. Perhaps leather bound, hand finished and dedicated in hand to her Majesty from the President.

I think that would reflect the stature and position of both parties better than a Japanese video and sound player.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2009

3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

My first thought is that Her Majesty has all the personal possesions she could possibly want ie IPOD's, videos. An appropriate gift would be something that signifies the historic ties between England and the United States.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a leather bound limited edition copy of "William Bradford, History of Plymouth Plantation" and perhaps nicely framed lithograph of this:

3a06629r.jpg

....the Mayflower

4. artabr

artabr New Member

Nice ROMT. ;)

I'd do something similar. Maybe a copy of some document that binds our two countries together although I don't know if that (a treaty or document that already exist) would be apporpriate.

Art

5. fmacsin1

fmacsin1 New Member

Just thinking for about a minute, and hopefully longer than O's staff might have, I would have had a portrait of either something of the Queen's love of dogs and/or horses (maybe even hers?) done. Having a picture snapped on a camera and sent to DC to have it painted, I think, would have been a great idea and would have shown "forethought" before the Pres. went on this trip.

6. rockntractor

rockntractor Former Guest

one of those new light weight hammerless smith&wesson 357's would be nice you could probably get a gold plated trigger.

7. Islandboy

Islandboy New Member

She did/does shoot so it would have been appropriate to give her a hunting gun,
    and she takes great interest in the stock on her lands.
    .50 bmg in titanium? No cost spared right?

8. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Forethought? From the BO crowd? (Forethought is defined and covered in the last chapter of the 'OJT' manual!)

9. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

oh, yeah....rub it in!!!

10. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Naw, read the Mayflower compact. They were very loyal to the King and England.

11. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

I stand corrected.