The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was giving my collection its monthly wipe off with a old gun cleaning towel and got to thinking which one or 2-3 would I grab for SHTF in the bolt action and semi auto catagories . So here is mine . Bolt action 1) Lee Enfield Longbranch No4 Mk1 (10 rounds , decent sights) 2) Springfield Krag carbine (my best shooter , someone had put a Redfield peep sight before I bought it ) 3) Mas36 (good sights , short length) . If I had a Springfield 03 it would be on my list but sadly I don't . Semi auto . 1) M1 carbine (15 round mags , soft recoil) 2) SKS (10 round clips ) 3) M1 Garand (need I say more , a beast and only other semi auto I own . I don't have a AR type right now or a AK47 . Sold my Hakim rifle awhile back , good rifle but HEAVY .

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Well, for a bolt action first choice would be my deer rifle, an Enfield .303 No.5 Carbine - the so-called "Jungle Carbine", all as-issue including the sling and now rather granite-like recoil pad. Second choice bolt action would probably be our 1918 vintage high number Springfield M1903. As for an auto-loader, most likely the SKS or M1 Carbine, with the SKS being my preference due to ammo availability.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
For a bolt action it would be my sporterized FN Mauser in 30-06. For a semi auto all I have in centerfire is an M1 carbine and an AR in 5.56. I would go with the AR.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a "Jungle Carbine" and liked it but wanting to add to my collection I decided to sell one of my Lee Enfields for funds . So I kept the Longbranch cause I got better accuracy from it and the recoil was better . With my eye sight the M1 carbine was a easy pick over the SKS but you are right about the ammo part .

·
Registered
17,130 Posts
A SHTF military surplus bolt gun would be a problem. If the fecal matter has indeed struck the rotary oscillator, ammunition would be something of prime importance. While one of them Swiss rifles with the ring at the back of the bolt might be a wonderful gun, you're not going to find ammo for it at a backwoods gas station.

My choices are an 1895 Chilean in 7x57, an 1898 Krag in 30US, a German k98 in 8x57, and an 03A3 in 30/06. All would do the job, but the only sensible choice would be the 03. Of those four calibers, 06 would be the best bet to find at just about any place that sells ammunition.

Reactions: jim brady

·
Premium Member
17,938 Posts
For bolt action don't have any milsurp, so i'll have to rely on a couple rifles i use for hunting Winchester model 70 .30-06 and browning abolt 7mm-08. also don't have any semi auto semis. Looks like i'll be screwed.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
For bolt action don't have any milsurp, so i'll have to rely on a couple rifles i use for hunting Winchester model 70 .30-06 and browning abolt 7mm-08. also don't have any semi auto semis. Looks like i'll be screwed.
Had a friend coworker years ago only had one rifle a single shot, Ruger #1 if I recall. One day several of us were having a bs session on a weather day. Of course the subject of guns came up who had what, what they liked. A couple of the guys were giving single shot a little razing about not having enough gun if SHTF. He just smiled a sad smile and said with his rifle he could get as many Ars as he wanted. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
12,361 Posts
ral, I like your friends way of thinking. My semi would be as nmckenzie mentioned; M-1 carbine AND my SKS. Ammo is not a problem. Bolt action. Well, if, as Alpo so succinctly described the situation, should occur, I'm staying right here. Ain't none of this bug-out crap happenin'. I'm too old, too set in my ways, I hope "too prepared", and too comfortable. That being the case, I have enough rifles, period, for which the cartridges can be made from the very plentiful supply of '06 cases I have....and have already made.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a friend coworker years ago only had one rifle a single shot, Ruger #1 if I recall. One day several of us were having a bs session on a weather day. Of course the subject of guns came up who had what, what they liked. A couple of the guys were giving single shot a little razing about not having enough gun if SHTF. He just smiled a sad smile and said with his rifle he could get as many Ars as he wanted. :unsure:
That reminds me of that single shot .45 the US military made and planned to drop to French resistance fighters in WW2 .

·
Super Moderator
26,931 Posts
I only have 3 mil surp rifles. Enfield #1 Mk III, SA 1898 Krag 30-40 and a large ring mauser that has been restocked/scoped and rebarreled to 6mm Rem. I'd probably go with the mauser. The Enfield has been regrettably sporterized and scopoed but I could never get it to shoot worth a darn.

·
Garandaholic
9,478 Posts
Garand. Preferably a couple of them. Take any part from any of them and fix any other of them. .30-.06 is all over the planet.
03A3 for the bolt. Rugged, reliable and you're shooting from the same stockpile of ammo.

Reactions: joe45c

·
Registered
388 Posts
Semi auto, M1 Carbine. Plenty of ammo/mags.

Bolt, 2 MN Carbines. A M38 and a M44. (Or) The K98. Plenty of ammo for each.

As sharps4590 alluded to, I am not "Bugging Out." I have everything I need here including Terrain and like minded prepped neighbors.

I might have (ahem) a few weapons to choose from with the requisite ammunition.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
BA for now would be my M39 Sako, but I would give a lot of thought to my Mossberg MVP Predator in 5.56 that takes AR mags...my walking around rifle for Pdogs😎

I would likewise have trouble deciding whether to grab the Garand or my Rock River LAR for the semi....my Yugo SKS is good too but that gate latch they call a trigger might make it a “stash” gun...

My REAL problem would be deciding between my 100+ year old ‘97 Riot Gun or my much newer Magpul 870 18”...

·
Premium Member
9,905 Posts
Come on down @soonerfan66. I have an 03A3 and ‘03 just waiting for you, you can choose. Heck, there’s even a Winchester M1917 that’s the bees knees. We can fish Ellsworth and Lawtonka and hunt in the Refuge. Yesterday I counted 78 dove in the cottonwoods behind my house. One shot and we’d hit 10 without a problem.

·
Premium Member
19,593 Posts
Since I only own one bolt action centerfire my Ruger American in 308 I would have to pick that. I also only own one semi-auto centerfire so the same rule applies. My Ruger 556 AR-15. Pretty simple for me.

In truth, I would leave the bolt action at home and take a shotgun. But that's not what the OP ask for.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds good !!!!!! I start drooling every time I say 03 Springfield !! I got a Eddystone M1917 and love it . Fished Ellsworth and a few ponds down your way but been years ago . When I was hauling oil years ago was a oil lease that had a nice pond right beside the tank battery near you and the land owner didn't mind and some times while was loading I kept a fish pole in my hose rack and would toss a lure out and would catch some small mouth pretty regular . Would toss em back .

·
Registered
388 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the OP asked what "MILSURP" weapons you had in the two categories.
If it was open to any other choices from my (Uuhh...) Collection, my choices would have been much different.
I chose from my MILSURP Bolt Actions and my MILSURP semi-auto.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Ral357 - Old saying, "Beware the Man with only one Rifle, He likely knows how to use it."

Soonerfan - that single shot .45 supplied to the Resistance in WWII was called the "Liberator." Designed to ambush and take the better weapon off an opponent.

*Although both you guys are probably aware/know what I'm laying down.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts