Yugo M48 Ready for the Range!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

NEtracker
    (2/11/03 11:09:24 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Yugo M48 Ready for the Range!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, My Jan/Feb project has been completed.
    It took 3 weeks of sneaking away from family duties for minutes at a time, but it was worth it. I disassembled the entire rifle & bolt, cleaned all that cosmoline up (with WD40), cleaned bore with Butch's, lubed with CLP as necessarry, cleaned up the stock (then used Murphy's oil soap, and Formsby's). I did not mess with the small dings in the stock; from arsenal storage & handling, as this was an unissued piece with all matching s.n.'s. I used a heat gun to melt the cosmoline out of the bayonet scabbard, then some Gun Scrubber.
    Reassembled the M48 last night, in just minutes; very easy. (Could have done the project all in a day, but time is at a premium!)
    Now, I just need to wait for the snow to recede, so I can get to the outdoor range!

NEtracker
    (2/12/03 11:59:45 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del pics
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/12/03 12:54:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: pics
    Looks good, NEtracker. I've been meaning to get myself one of those too, but it keeps getting pushed out of the way by other guns. Your pics have made me decide to bump the Yugo M48 back up near the top of my list. Thanks.

By the way, how do you like that bent bolt handle? It seems odd to me. I appreciate a straight handle, and I also appreciate a true bent handle that turns down close to the stock (like a k9 . But that one seems like it's somewhere inbetween. The only word I could use to describe it is.... flaccid. (if you catch my meaning)
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

NEtracker
    (2/12/03 10:49:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Bolt
    Hi 1952Sniper, thanks,

I like both the "full" bent bolts & the "almost" full like this M48. The fully bent bolt may be easier for scope mounting, but I'm not planning any sporterizing.
    I like having the bolt close to my right hand.
    Now, if I come across a nice Swedish M96, I may need to add a straight bolt to the collection.

seb1899
    (2/23/03 12:00:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Magnificent Mauser
    That is a beautiful rifle!

Can you tell us who the supplier was and what grading did you order?

NEtracker
    (2/26/03 10:54:47 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Source
    I don't have my C&R yet (my fault; have all the forms, not filled out yet), so I got my "Unissued" M48 locally at my MA dealer, Four Seasons. They had the M48, M48A, M48bo to choose from, so I hand picked mine personally.