The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone make Zinc bullets ? Been gathering up wheel weights to cast with and starting to get a supply of Zinc weights . Have heard of some people using them for casting , what are your thoughts ?

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
I've seen a couple of elvisammo videos on it, at least I think that's the name of his channel.

Reactions: howlnmad

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
A common alloy for casting is lead/tin/zinc. My concern would be that your bullets might be too light and too brittle. I would think that they very well might tend to disintegrate on firing. Might be a worth while experiment though. Let us know how they work for you.

·
Super Moderator
26,990 Posts
I've seen a couple of elvisammo videos on it, at least I think that's the name of his channel.
Yup, that's the guy.

I'm saving up zinc weights to cast some. I'm just wondering if you need to use a new melting pot as to not contaminate your lead pot.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Yeah, I put all my zinc WWs into the scrap bucket but I may go through and pull them all out.

Zinc contaminates lead and makes it not want to keep its shape in a mold. But pure Zinc apparently casts decent bullets in a hot mold but are much lighter for the same profile, so appropriate loads are needed to be worked up.

The good news is the bullets are usable in “lead free” ranges, and I think especially if John Kerry becomes our “climate czar,” it won’t be long before the Libs try to outlaw the use of lead completely. That will mean the end of muzzleloaders too unless we find an alternative...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's one thing I heard is use separate pots with lead and zinc cause of the cross contamination . Said can ruin lead if get some zinc in the mix . Saw some pictures of bullets that had been cast with a little bit of zinc got mixed in . Not pretty .

·
GUNZILLA
6,493 Posts
I'm just wondering if you need to use a new melting pot as to not contaminate your lead pot.
Why do you think that would be a problem? Using the same mold that you would for lead your bullets will be about 40% lighter.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Super Moderator
26,990 Posts
Why do you think that would be a problem? Using the same mold that you would for lead your bullets will be about 40% lighter.
With the mold, there's no remains. Your melting pot could have a little of one or the other and completely ruin your melt. I dump my lead pot into ingot molds when done and then scrub it out with a scothbrite pad when it's cold.

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
With the mold, there's no remains. Your melting pot could have a little of one or the other and completely ruin your melt. I dump my lead pot into ingot molds when done and then scrub it out with a scothbrite pad when it's cold.
I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to use the same pot for both either. But I have never cast zinc so I don't know for sure if they would cross contaminate or not.

·
Super Moderator
26,990 Posts
I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to use the same pot for both either. But I have never cast zinc so I don't know for sure if they would cross contaminate or not.
I do know that the slightest bit of zinc mixed with lead will give you a nice pot of grey oatmeal that is completely useless.

Don't ask.....

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I don’t use either of my electric melting pots for the first melt to make ingots. I use a cast iron pot over a fire pit. It takes a little longer to melt the wheel weights but the temps are less, enough to melt the lead but not enough to melt zinc. Even though I sort well I will skim out a couple ZNs that got by me, when I see a still complete weight floating with the clips I skim quickly! Lead melts at 600-700 but zinc melts at like 800+ so if you watch your heat you can catch the zinc before it could mix. If your heat gets away from you you can contaminate your batch of lead quickly, it doesn’t take much zinc to make your whole batch worthless like Howlin’ said.

I have a Lyman 10 lb Big Dipper and a 20 lb Lee bottom pour. If I do start playing with Zinc I’ll probably dedicate the Lyman to Zinc only and keep the bottom pour for only lead.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The only metal that I know of that alloys readily with zinc is copper. A 230 gr. RN .452" bullet, made of solid gilding metal should weigh about 190 grains. Zinc content in gilding metal runs 5-11%. And then there's the matter of melting the copper.
Not being much of an INorganic chemist. I'm offering surmises, here, but maybe zinc CAN be alloyed with lead or tin if there's enough antimony present. I have no clue as to the proportions that would work, nor even what the alloy hardness might be. It might be even harder than gilding metal, which is already too hard for some people's tastes.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Check out castbulletassoc.org. I found a blog pertaining to zinc wheel weights but could not download it, so go to their forum and ask. Someone should be able to direct you to that article or just answer you questions about using zinc. One thing I do remember was do not mix lead and zinc.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Anyone make Zinc bullets ? Been gathering up wheel weights to cast with and starting to get a supply of Zinc weights . Have heard of some people using them for casting , what are your thoughts ?
I have several friends on the net that cast Zinc bullets you can find lots of info on the subject by clicking on the links. You will need a dedicated pot for casting zinc an you will also need to use iron molds for casting. Zinc bullet weigh about 60% of what a normal lead bullet from a given mold would weigh and they are also much harder but not brittle and don't deform very easily.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts